My Name
A person’s name explains their identity. It represents themselves in a combination of letters which combine to make a unique label for that person. Our names separate us from others, allows us to share our family’s culture, and to show our self to the world. Names are important in this confusing world full of people. My name is simply me. Its meaning represents me an individual. For my name is Caleb, and don’t you forget it!
Almost every word has some sort of base. Most don’t just pop up out of nowhere. The same applies with names. My name has a good meaning unlike some names which have meaning like ‘smelly one’ or ‘chubby face’! In Hebrew, Caleb means dog or loyal. In the bible, Moses sent twelve spies to the Promised Land. Only Caleb and Joshua made it alive. The name became common in English around the 17th century, when Puritans introduced it to America. I like how my name means loyal or dog. I love dogs and have two of them at home and I like to consider myself loyal to people I care about.
I was lucky to have been given a good name. I feel sorry for those who are name Helga or Gertrude and are forced to legally change their name to stop having to hear the scoffs of laughter as they explain their name’s meaning (Gertrude means toad or wart, I forget which one it is). I like my name because first of all, not many people have it. I’ve always liked the idea of unique names and not having one like Bill or John. My second reason for liking my name is that it fits me well. Have you ever known someone whose name just doesn’t fit with their personality? Luckily, I feel that isn’t the case for me. I am a Caleb, not a Joe or Kurt. It’s amazing that my parents were able to know my name before they ever even saw me! For some reason, they just knew I was a Caleb.
Names are delicate things, like one of those tiny sandwiches that English people like to eat with their tea. It’s hard to get your name just right. I feel that my name will become a common word coming from other’s mouths. Caleb represents the greatness I am destined to have. Wherever I go, my name will follow. When all is lost, I will still have that two syllable word which means so much to me: Caleb.
I love this piece! Great use of metaphor. Sequencing flows fluently. Voice comes through loud and clear. Hook and conclusion super. You could have another look at verbs, to add even more oomph, and remember if you want the top grades, a visual representation of your thinking is also required. Look again at the blog rubric.
ReplyDelete